Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Most Pathetic Attempt to Pick Up a Girl

I was in Express (clearance section). I was holding up two dresses trying to decide which one to get. The pink one could be worn if I went out for a night on the town (which I don't do, ever). The blue one would look cute with a pair of flip flops during the day, or I could dress it up (no pun intended) with some jewelry and cute shoes for a night out on the town (which I don't do, ever). The blue one, in retrospect, could be worn to a restaurant; whereas, the pink one was a little more, um, trashy. A dude (probably second-generation American, whose parents are Middle Eastern) comes up to me with a tall (which is small in Starbuck's speak) coffee drink from aforementioned cafĂ© in one hand. In the other hand he was holding a small white clutch with a big black jewel in the middle. Dude says, “Can I ask your opinion? Would this make a good man purse?” My immediate reply was, “NOOOOO!” Eyes wide sort of reply. “Oh wow,” replies dude, “I admire your bluntness.” He tosses the not so manly purse aside. “Um, yeah, um,” he continues. “That’s what I thought. I, um, just saw someone, um, with one like it, and um, that what I thought. I was just making sure.” RIIIIGHT. I made no attempt to keep the conversation rolling. Despite my lack of attempt, he would not be thwarted. “So, you look like you’re shopping in a hurry.” That made me wonder if holding two dresses up for comparison really made some look like a hurried shopper. “Nope,” I contradicted, “not really. I have a gift card, and I’m trying to spend it.” The whole time I’m thinking, man purse, really?? So, aloud, I asked, “Man purse! Really?” This made him more nervous. “Um, yeah, it was (insert nervous laugh) my cheesy attempt to come talk to you.” INSERT ME LOL-ing ON THE INSIDE. I informed him that I had a boyfriend. I should have informed him that even if I didn’t, I would not want a guy that opens up a conversation with a girl, whom he wants to get to know, asking about a man purse. Was he trying to be funny? I think he’d need to work on his presentation skills if that were the case. Anyway, he didn’t, apparently, like that tidbit of info. He goes, “Yeah, well, I bet your boyfriend doesn’t like you spending his money like this.” WHAT!? My students told me I should have been like, “Oh no you didn’t shawtie. You ain’t know me like that.” HAHA. My reply, though, was “dude, I told you I had a gift card.” “Oh yeah, well, thanks for your advice.” He departed quickly. My question becomes, do girls who shop at Express generally go for the man purse toting dude? I am NOT that girl. Blue dress it is.

No comments: